[rrd-users] Change RRD Graph Definitions

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 13:29:59 CEST 2012

James McDonald wrote:

>I think I found what I needed from this thread too:
>http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-4426.  Newly created graphs now
>seem to produce the LAST value as I want.
>

>Is it possible to update the existing (old) graphs to include the
>LAST value from now on, or do I need to start with fresh graphs and
>lose the history (even though it is AVERAGE)?

I assume you've added a LAST consolidation to your RRDs ?
Naturally this will be empty for all time prior to when you started
adding data to it.
What I have done in the past when I've had a change is to plot two
different series. IIRC I'd needed to change my RRDs, and created new
ones while keeping the old ones. I think I did something like this :

def:a=oldrrd.rrd:value:...
def:a=oldrrd.rrd:value:...
cdef:a2=TIME,${switch},LT,a,UNKN,IF
cdef:b2=TIME,${switch},GT,b,UNKN,IF
AREA:a2 ...
AREA:b2 ...
VLINE:${switch}

Where ${switch} is a shell variable (this was in a BASH CGI script)
representing the fixed time when the change occurred. The result is
that it plots "a" up to the switch, and "b" from then, with a
vertical line to note the demarcation.

--
Simon Hobson