[rrd-users] Changing data collection rate in an existing file

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 12 01:36:33 CEST 2012

This is very awkward to do.  You'd need to dump the RRD to XML, modify the
XML, then reload it to make a new RRD file with the different step size.

Your 5-min 1-sample RRAs would need to be changed to 5-min 5-sample, and
similarly for the larger RRAs.  You'd likely also need to create a new 1-min
1-sample RRA, 3 months long, and initially populate it with data pulled from
the 5-min RRA.

This would be possible, but (a) you wouldn't have the data granularity for
historical data, and if you miss out the initial copy of data from the
original 5min RRA to the new 1min RRA you'd get odd behaviour, and (b) you
would need to write a fairly complex program to process the XML, as no
existing utility I know about can do this.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead