[rrd-users] RRDcached is core dumping

zelezarof zelezarof at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:32:10 CET 2012

Hi All,

A few days ago I started seeing some gaps on my charts (missing information,
the day to day work load is to save information on thousands of rrd files),
at the beginning I wasn't sure what the problem was really about, but after
some investigation I was able to identify that *rrdcached* is core dumping,

Going through the User's mailing list I found that I was able to run
*rrdcached* on the foreground and that's how I was able to discover that
*rrdcached* is dying when it starts /flushing the old values/, the thing is
that aside of knowing that rrdcached is dying I don't know how I could debug
it further...

This is what I'm seeing on my logs:

starting up

listening for connections

flushing old values

Bus error (core dumped)

starting up

listening for connections

flushing old values

Bus error (core dumped)

My socket setup: /usr/pkg/bin/rrdcached -l unix:/tmp/tool.afscell.rrd.sock
-P batch,update,flush,flushall -w 30 -p /tmp/tool.afscell.rrd.pid -t 5 -b
/usr/local/rrd/servers -B -g

I'm using:  RRDtool 1.4.5 and RRDCacheD 1.4.5 (rrdtool that comes with
PKGSRC 3Q-2011.)

My doubts are as follows:

- Any one has seen this error before? if yes how did you fix it?

- What would you recommend me to do in order to debug the problem? since
from my point of view, in my case running the daemon on the foreground
doesn't really provide much information aside of the logs I posted above.

- Right now I'm not able to debug the core dumps, do I have to recompile
rrdtool/rrdcached using a debug flag? If so, do you know what flag do I have
to add to the compilation process?