[rrd-users] Incremental backup rrd file

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 17 03:32:42 CEST 2012

I'm guessing that you have a 300MB RRD file with thousands of rows in the
RRAs, and are hoping to only backup the portions of it that have altered, in
much the same way that an Oracle RMAN backup only backs up altered records.

As far as I know there is no easy way to do this.  All databases suffer from
this; try backing up only the changed portions of a large mysql table, for
example.

You could write a custom daily script to dump the day's high-resolution data
(via rrdtool fetch) to an export file and backup that, though restore would
be a pain in the neck.  At least you'd not have to back up the
lower-resolution RRAs as their contents could be deduced from the
high-resolution data, if you keep it going back far enough.

The way we achieve this for MRTG/RRD is to have a much smaller (800 row) RRD
that backs up completely daily and then rotates.  The frontend allows us to
select archived versions of the RRD to view historical data, though this is
not as convenient as having it all in one 10,000 row RRD of course.

Another way is to run your updates through the trunk version of rrdcached,
and use the pause/resume function to quiesce writing while you snapshot the
filesystem.  Then, you can backup the snapshot (though you're still backing
up the full amount of data).  However this at least ensures you have
consistent backups with structural integrity.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead