[rrd-users] rrdcached communication via socket.

Aramis aramis at pop-pr.rnp.br
Tue Jul 17 18:00:17 CEST 2012

Hi Stephan,

> With help from Steve Shipway I managed to configure and run rrdcached
> like this:
>
>     ${SDRREP_ROOT}/bin/rrdcached -s sdr -w60 \
>        -l unix:${SDRREP_ROOT}/var/cache/rrdcached/rrdcached.sock \
>        -j ${SDRREP_ROOT}/var/cache/rrdcached/journal -F \
>        -b $BASEDIR
>
> I make sure it runs as my username, sdr and the journal and all rrd files
> really belong to sdr. Including the socket file. Make sure thats the case.

<...>
> Shouldnt all files belong to the rrdcached user. I think so.

I checked permissions, ownerships, etc, and the daemon seems to be
running fine AND receiving updates, but RRD files are still not being
written. And I think I (finally) found out why.

When updating rrd files I get no errors, but when I manually flush data,
the following occurs:

Jul 17 12:33:39 host rrdcached[25309]: queue_thread_main: rrd_update_r
(/tmp/test.rrd) failed with status -1. (mmaping file '/tmp/test.rrd':
Invalid argument)

I am updating using RRDs perl module, this way:

RRDs::update (
		"/tmp/test.rrd",
		"--daemon",
		"unix:/var/run/rrdcached.sock",
		"N:123:123"
	);

And I get no errors using RRDs:error.

I still need some help. Am I calling the update function correctly?
(it is correct according manual)