[rrd-users] No DS called 'value' in ....

asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:29:44 CET 2012

I've got a perl CGI program that was written a couple of years ago using the
shared perl bindings of rrdtool 1.2.15, with the libdbi patches with the
data in a mysql backend. Now we are trying to upgrade to rrdtool 1.4.7. It's
a real pain to compile on AIX, but after many manual tweaks I managed to get
it installed. I have both versions of rrdtool installed
(/opt/rrdtool-1.2.15, and /opt/rrdtool-1.4.7). To test the  new version, I
simply changed the 'use lib' line in the perl script to point to the new
version. I'm getting this error (Exact details vary based on the specific
graph I'm trying to generate) in apache's error_log.txt when I try to create
a graph:

ERROR: No DS called 'value' in
'sql//mysql/host=127.0.0.1/dbname=nmon/username=infr/rrdminstepsize=600//CPU_ALL/unixtimestamp/wait/hostname='tx8apbci580''

Has the syntax for using libdbi changed in newer versions or something? I
know it's formed correctly for rrdtool 1.2.15 because the script still works
with that version. I've been through the rrdtool libdbi docs, but I still
haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions would
be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Shawn Asmussen