[rrd-users] Rrdtool for counting irregular events

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon May 21 10:42:40 CEST 2012

Rafal Gwizdala wrote:

>We're getting close to the solution, however I don't like how this
>forces me to manually handle step calculation.
>It complicates my software significantly - up to now I could rely on
>rrdtool handling the step and date ranges.

You're best doing your own calcs anyway (and explicitly specify the
resolution of data to be used) - it means you can optimise the
graphs. If you just do (for example) "now-1month" to "now" then the
graph may not be optimal. Pixels on the graph may not exactly match
your data points, and so further data manipulation is needed. Also, I
believe it's been vastly improved, but there used to be some
situations where you could get the "wrong" consolidation used - a
graph with lower resolution data than it should be.

--
Simon Hobson