[rrd-users] Disabling Last Update

Wesley Wyche wesley.wyche at verizon.com
Thu Nov 8 16:33:34 CET 2012

The collection IS fault tolerant.  If for some reason one server has issues,
or even entire network segments cease to exist, some collector server
somewhere else will accept the data because the collectors are clustered
behind a redundant load balancer as well.

And if for some reason a collector is unable to transmit to a processor, it
just hangs onto the data (1 minute batches) until one of the redundant
processing systems comes back online.

This is where a potential backlog could occur...if for some reason the link
between the two independent clusters is not there and then it comes back,
there would be a large inflow of batches that have been gathering on the
collectors.

Or, if there are not enough processors to keep up with the inflow of
batches, the queue could begin to stack up.

Any of these reasons are why I'd like to be able to execute the update with
the "collected" time value and not some time that is after the "last
update".

Of course, I can ensure that the values are updated in the correct order.
However, there may be hours of lag between updates.  The target where the
data was collected did not have any lag, it is just a lag before it finally
makes it to the active batch being processed.

I've tried to do the updates using the "collected" time value, but it
complains that the time value occurs prior to the last update...hence the
reason for this thread.