[rrd-users] Disabling Last Update

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 17:28:51 CET 2012

Wesley Wyche wrote:

>I've tried to do the updates using the "collected" time value, but it
>complains that the time value occurs prior to the last update...hence the
>reason for this thread.

It will do, by design, if you feed in updates out of order.
If feeding data like that is a fundamental part of your system
design, then RRD is not the right tool for your task.

If you need to insert a screw, then a hammer isn't the right tool.
The fact that the hammer doesn't turn the screw isn't a fault of the
design of the hammer - it's simply a symptom of the tool not being
matched to the job.

It may be that a combination of tools is what you need. Perhaps some
short-term random access database that allows you to do inserts
out-of-order, and then take the data from that (after some suitable
period to allow everything to be sorted out) and stuff it into RRD
for long term storage.

--
Simon Hobson