[rrd-users] Question about time stamp, etc with GAUGE DST

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Nov 9 03:25:40 CET 2012

What is it that I do not understand about the timestamps in the following
RRD?  Just below it is the actual data as inserted into the RRD via
RRDs::update. Below that is the fetch of what the same data looks like in
the RRD.

My question is why is the data from time 1352425184 split across two steps?
I'm guessing it has to do with the difference between the --start value and
when the logging daemon is started. What I am trying to achieve is the data
point recorded in a single step. Is this possible?

Kind Regards,
Chris

RRD:

rrdtool create sperrors.rrd --start now --step 60 \
DS:align-err:GAUGE:120:0:100000 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:10080 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:10080 \
RRA:LAST:0.5:1:1 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:1440 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:60:1440 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:720:732 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:720:732

Data being inserted into RRD:

1352424941:0
1352425001:0
1352425061:0
1352425121:0
1352425184:2
1352425244:0
1352425304:0
1352425364:0

Output of "$rrdtool fetch sperrors.rrd AVERAGE --start 1352424941"

                      align-err

1352424960: 0.0000000000e+00
1352425020: 0.0000000000e+00
1352425080: 0.0000000000e+00