[rrd-users] Updating more than once per second using rrdcached

Martin Muc marthter at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 28 19:17:27 CET 2012

Tobias Oetiker <tobi <at> oetiker.ch> writes:

> Today Simon Hobson wrote:
>
> > Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> >
> > >well, actually you can update in milli second resolution, its just
> > >your stepsize that is limited to seconds ...
> >
> > So all this time we could have been using `date +%s.%N` for
> > timestamps. Not that I'm wanting to, but I can't recall having ever
> > seen anything to suggest other than integer second resolution.
>
> hi hi ... well if you used N: the precision has been high for a
> long time already, The reason for this is that some people are
> tracking satellite trajectories (or something along these lines)
> and they found that they introduced noticable jitter by rounding
> their data acquisition times to the nearest second.
>
> cheers
> tobi

I've been googling this for hours... how to use rrdtool to store data, for
example, at 10 samples per second, 100 ms apart.  It does not seem possible, is
this correct?

So, although you say the update timestamp can have millisecond precision, there
still cannot be more that one update per second, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Martin