[rrd-users] Basic information about "rrdtool create" command

gerixxx sz.geri88 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 02:17:23 CEST 2012

Hello everybody!

I'm a beginner in using RRDtool, and I want to learn, how to proceed
functionalities. I read the tutorial (it was very useful), but there is
still one thing, that I can't understand.
An example from documentation:

rrdtool create myrouter.rrd         \
            DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U   \
            DS:output:COUNTER:600:U:U  \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600      \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700      \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775     \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797    \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600          \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700          \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775         \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

Why are there a lot of consolidation functions? I know, what they mean
(including parameters), but I don't know, why is there 4x AVERAGE or MAX in
that sequence. OK, first rows after DS mean, that we want to store average
data (with different reading options), and after that the maximum of
samples, coming as input data.
Of course, at the end, I want to create a graph, and when I have to define
parameters, there is a reference to *.rrd file:

rrdtool graph myrouter-day.gif --start -86400 \
            DEF:inoctets=myrouter.rrd:input:AVERAGE \
            DEF:outoctets=myrouter.rrd:output:AVERAGE \
            AREA:inoctets#00FF00:"In traffic" \
            LINE1:outoctets#0000FF:"Out traffic"

In the 2nd and 3rd rows are defined variables, containing stored data, but
from these parameters I can't decide, which average data will be displayed
from 4 definitions of average at create command. Is very important the
sequence of definitions of RRAs? Why?

It's possible, that these are very amateur questions, but the answers would
be very useful for me. :)

Thanks!