[rrd-users] blank spaces in graph

Aramis aramis at pop-pr.rnp.br
Mon Sep 3 16:32:35 CEST 2012

> Hi,

Hi Asim,

> I've a problem with rrd graphing that many of the graphs of my devices has
> blank space like i've shown in attachment. Kindly help to solve the issue.

Once I had graphs being drawed just like yours. My problem was too much
disk writes at once.
The blank intervals were about 5 to 10 minutes long.

And as Steve said, it is some Unknown values in your RRD file. They may
be caused by disk access problems.

I see 2 possible solutions:

1 - Storing traffic from A to B and from B to A into the same RRD file

(it'll cut your file amount by the half, but you may have to rebuilt all
your RRDs, depending on the fields you created on your first RRD file);

2 - Use rrdcache daemon to reduce disk access.

Cheers,
Aramis.