[rrd-users] Fwd: Fwd: New with rrdtool - data is not plotting to graph

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 14:16:18 CEST 2012

Ben wrote:

>Thanks for your kind response. I verified all the things again, but
>still it is not working.
>
>I set heartbeat for 120 seconds so it is 2min.
>I set step time is 60 seconds so it is updated for each minute.
>
>my rrd command :
>     rrdtool create a.rrd \
>     --step 60 \
>     DS:A:COUNTER:120:0:U \
>     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:7200
>
>By today, i again try with all new scripts, but same, one time i saw
>data on graph but then again, it is black.

Sorry, but my crystal ball isn't working so I can't tell what you've done !

For problems like this, you need to do a test with fixed data to make
things reproduceable.
So create a new file
Do a series of updates
Draw a graph

But put all the commands for these in a script so it's easy to run it
multiple times - and post the script.

Note that for updates, you don't have to use "N" as the time, you can
specify a timestamp. So for example, you can do
   rrdtool update 1347452040:...
   rrdtool update 1347452100:...
   rrdtool update 1347452160:...

Only by having put in known data for known times can we have any hope
of knowing what should come out.

>Please provide your feedback for the same. Your given below link is
>not working.

Yes, it seems there's a problem with that, I'm now told it hasn't
been working for a few weeks.

PS - please don't top post. And keep discussions on-list.

--
Simon Hobson