[rrd-users] max DS per rrd file

mikel infoeuskadi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 11:08:41 CEST 2013

Hi all,

What is a healthy number of data-sources for a given RRD file?

I was considering to have 50 per file, but I have many cases where logically
it would make sense to store hundreds.

I was looking for a standard-way to scale this numbers but I could not find
a definitive guide.

I am only looking for a one-year lifespan and I am happy for data to 'blur'.

How good/bad is it for a standard rrd file to make queries/add data with so
many data sources?

Any hint to a good document is much appreciated since I could not find much
information.

I know there are ways to programatically create more RRD files but I am
interested to know under which values the RRD would normally start
misbehaving and becoming unusable (too long to respond to a query).

Thanks in advance,