[rrd-users] MAXIMUM consolidation over the sum of two counters

Dick van der Sijs saosijs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 20:19:25 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have two systems between which all my traffic is distributed and I am
only interested in the total traffic.
Basically I have a counter1 and a counter2 and want to see the properties
of the sum of them (the usual min, avg, max).
I have been reading
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/min-avg-max.phpand understand
consolidation (at least I think I do).
However, the way I understand that rrdtool works is that with rrdgraph I
cannot get max(counter1+counter2).
That is, not unless I set up a third counter from the start in which I put
the sum counter1+counter2.
The question is then if it is possible with rrdgraph alone, so without that
third counter that I mentioned?
Note that I am not looking for max( max(counter1),max(counter2) ), but
really for max(counter1+counter2).
I included an image in this e-mail to clarify what I mean (hopefully). A
link to it is http://i.imgur.com/oJ52IKP.png

Cheers,
Dirk