[rrd-users] RRDgraph tool Max values different when zoomed

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Feb 5 09:01:56 CET 2013

Hi Alex,

Yesterday Alex wrote:

> Hello,
> I am graphing http responses and when I am looking at my graph's max
> values, they differ from each other. Daily max value is showing higher max
> response time then weekly and so on. If I zoom in to certain time interval
> on my daily graph, I often get even higher max value than displayed on
> x-axis for duration of the day. It seems that data is somehow formatted to
> fit on the graph and is not displaying correctly unless I am zoomed in. Is
> there a way to change graph display so it shows all of the steps without
> zooming?

this depends on the consolidation function in use ... by default
rrdtool graph will apply the same consolidation used on the data
originally to build the graph data ... so if you have average data
and you shrink the resolution of the graph, it will be averaged
again ... if you have max data though, it would be maxed for
consolidation as well ...

cheers
tobi