[rrd-users] rrdtool upgrade

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 13 05:03:40 CET 2013

> I have been using rrdtool 1.2 for many years. It just works and I never
> needed to upgrade. I am now rebuilding that system and would like to
> upgrade to rrdtool 1.4. My question is, do I need to do anything to my
> existing RRDs for the new version to work with them? Or will they just
> work? If I do need to convert them in some way, a pointer to how this
> is done would be great.

It should just work - v1.4.x can read and write files created by v1.2.x, as long as it is on the same architecture, and the rrdtool was compiled by a similar compiler.  If you use a very different compiler to make the rrdtool 1.4 then there is a slim possibility that the format would be incompatible - in this case, you export to XML using the old rrdtool and import using the new rrdtool.  This is very unlikely to be necessary, though.

Usually, you can install the 1.4 in parallel, and just change the appropriate paths or library paths.

If you are using Perl RRDs.pm, and have installed in the site_perl path, then be careful that you remove the old RRDs.pm and associated objects before installing the new ones.  Sometimes you can get conflict if you accidentally load the new RRDs.pm but somehow get the old RRDs.so file.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail : 打印本邮件,将减少一棵树存活的机会