[rrd-users] [unsure] How rrdtool will work if there are two or more sample points in one time step

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 28 00:40:11 CET 2013

>I believe you say that the following two examples result in different
>behaviour:
>
>example 1:
>rrdtool update $filename $time1:$rate1 $time2:$rate2 $time3:$rate3
>$time4:$rate4 $time5:$rate5
>
>example 2:
>rrdtool update $filename $time1:$rate1
>rrdtool update $filename $time2:$rate2
>rrdtool update $filename $time3:$rate3
>rrdtool update $filename $time4:$rate4
>rrdtool update $filename $time5:$rate5

The only way I can think of for this to be the case is if one of the $timeX variables is 'N'

If course, if the step is 300s and you're updating 5 times in 60s, then the final value stored for each datapoint will be the average of 25 samples (weighted according to the arrival times)

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead