[rrd-users] RRDTool is behaving differently on within a 5 minute sampling boundary?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 17:14:45 CEST 2013

On 2 July 2013 09:40, Petteri Matilainen <pmatil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi James,

Hi Pete!

> It seems that the autoscale has kicked in on the latter graph (as you
> have alt-autoscale-max). In the first graph your maximum data is 10.01 M
> so the autoscale scales the graph to a bit higher that 10 M. On the
> latter graph maximum is 8.00 due to consolidation and so the autoscale
> scales the graph at 8 M so the red line is not visible. I haven't used
> the 95th percentile so I don't know how it works but does it supposed to
> have the line at 95 % of the 8 M on the latter graph?

Thanks for the advice! So it looks like the graph was auto scaled down
to lower that the 95th percentile value I was adding to the graph as a
HRULE because of data consolidation. It seems that just per-chance the
data consolidated chopped of the highest peaks from the data source so
the graph scaled to below the value I was supplying for the HRULE,
which should never happen. I have changed my RRD command to use
DEF:in="/path/to/rrd/1234.rrd":traffic_in:MAX instead of AVERAGE. Now
everything works great.

Thanks very much for your keen eye and help!

Regards,
James.