[rrd-users] Incrementing type

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Sat Jun 1 00:27:08 CEST 2013

> Does rrd support or will it support a increment type, so I dont need to
> keep
> my own counters?
>
> My application is stream of weblogs, and what I would like is to flush my
> "internal" counters every
> 5 seconds (to rrdcached). For this to function I would need a increment
> type..

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

You come up with a solution, and ask if that solution is available. But
maybe if you present the problem, we can tell you the matching solution
already present in RRDtool.

My initial guess is that you are probably looking for the absolute counter
type. This is based on your remark about "stream of weblogs" and "every 5
seconds" so I guess you have numbers such as "500 in the last 5 seconds" and
then "456 in the last 5 seconds" and so on.

> I can also get historic loglines streamed in, so need to increment here as
> well..

As far as RRDtool is concerned there is no difference between something that
happened in the past and something that happened in a nearer past. As long
as you create your database with appropriate settings and update in
chronological order, it should work. See the manual page for rrdtool create,
pay extra attention to "--start".

HTH
Alex