[rrd-users] Incrementing type

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jun 1 22:46:17 CEST 2013

This sort of situation (irregularly arriving events) is not really suitable for RRDTool, which is optimised and designed for storing and graphing time sequence rate-based data, coming in at regular intervals.

One possibility would be for you to store your logs in a separate location, then your RRD gathering process could run regularly via a scheduler every 5 min, and count the new logs since its last run.  This would be an 'absolute' type counter giving you a stored value in logs/sec that you could process as sum(interval*value) to get total number of logs.

Getting logs from time previous to the last update would not work - youd have to discard these.  If this is unacceptable, then you need to look at another more heavyweight and flexible database - maybe mysql or postgres...

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead