[rrd-users] Cumulative Moving Average

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Wed Mar 20 00:24:01 CET 2013

First a warning: RRDtool does not _store_ values.  Everything you put in is
subject to normalization and consolidation. You can make those no-ops if you
are careful.  Make sure you understand normalization and consolidation
before moving on; maybe RRDtool is not the right tool for you.

This said: it seems to me like you already have some computed averages (from
whichever source, could be RRDtool itself) and store those averages.  In
that case you already have a rate, and want to store the rate => GAUGE.

And then you ask for "must be kept over an unlimited amount of time". That's
a red flag for RRDtool. RRDtool will, by design, store a limited amount of
rates. Think of a wheel with spokes. At the end of every spoke your rates
will be stored, the wheel will turn one spoke, and is ready to receive the
next rate. At some point the original first spoke will be used again to
store the newest rate, overwriting the old rate at that position.

Again: this said: no system will be able to store unlimited amounts of data.
So whatever tool you use, there will be some limit, so maybe you can come up
with a practical limit which is good enough for your purposes.

HTH
Alex