[rrd-users] Can't have spaces in Title

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:38:27 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

> No new lines without \ ... I'm stumped why it is not working.   Though
> it is clearly something to do with my script but I'm certain I'm
> escaping things properly.

Well it is definitely something to do with the way BASH is handling
strings, so it is not an rrd issue.

But I am escaping things properly because I do this at the bottom of my
script :

echo "rrdtool graph --title \"$MYTITLE\" ${MYARGS}"
rrdtool graph --title "$MYTITLE" ${MYARGS}

And the actual call to rrdtool (2nd line) fails and barfs.
But if I take the output of the first command verbatim and copy and paste
it into an interactive BASH shell, it works fine.

I've hit this before quite some time ago and I think there is a BASH
variable I have to set in my script which alters the way it handles
strings, or something like that.