[rrd-users] Save and Calculate Percentil

Peter pspiegler at gmx.de
Sun Aug 17 21:28:52 CEST 2014

Hi Rafal,
/"choose the aggregation function that makes most sense in your case, for
example the average."/
That's the problem: If I calculate and store 10-minute values, which
function is for an hour / day good?
For a small factor between 'store' interval and rrdgraph intervall MIN / MAX
can be approximated used.

So my idea is  to calculate & store for 99% and 5% percentil the data in
RRA for some intervals i.e. 15/30/60 min, 3/6/12/24 hours.
And hope, rrdgraph choose the best fitting RRA.

But how can I bring the data  in a rrd file? rrdupdate is not possible.
Possible every 15 minute: rrddump > add the required values in the xml file
> rrdrestore.
But then the RRA are growing infinitely?

Or better: 2 x 7 RRD files with only one RRA. This can updated with CF LAST.
But then I have a problem with Cacti. Which File is the Datasource?
So dump all 7 RRD to xml, Merge it together to an format with all RRA, and
restore this RRD to show it in Cacti.

Peter

Peter