[rrd-users] Values not properly stored in RRD database

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 21:30:42 CET 2014

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 February 2014 21:27, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>> Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> rrdtool create solarprodX.rrd --start 1252116540 -s 60 \
>>> DS:power:GAUGE:300:0:U \
>>> DS:total:DERIVE:300:0:2.3 \
>>> DS:1:GAUGE:300:0:U \
>>> DS:2:GAUGE:300:0:U \
>>

>> I would change those names, I', not sure whether numeric only names are valid or not, but it can certainly cause confusion later. Try changing them to (say) p1 and p2 and see what happens.
>
> I have two more RRD files with exactly the same setup, and no problem there...
>
> only that one.
>

>> If that doesn't fix it, then you need to create a test case to re-create the problem. Create a new RRD, and insert a set of fixed (and hence repeatable) values into it.
>
> as I have another files with the same format and not showing the
> issue... I think that works as test case :)

Please don't go off-list.

That you have other files working is **NOT** a test case.
A test case is where you feed in a set of known values, so it's repeatable. You also know what the result should be, so you know if what comes out is what should be coming out.

The only thing I can think of is that the RRD file is somehow corrupt, or possibly it isn't configured as you thought it was. Try rrdtool info against the file and check that what it thinks the DSs are is what you think they are.

No-one else can try your values because you haven't given the history of how the file came to be in that state. So really your problem statement is "I fed a list of updates which I won't/can't share with you into an RRD and I don't get what I expect out".