[rrd-users] If input is already in text format and I craft a perl script to parse the text format and update rrd database, what should the step and heartbeat be?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 10 00:22:36 CEST 2014

If the readings are taken at 15min intervals, then your step should be 15min (900s), because this is the step between samples.

Generally speaking, unless you have a special case, you should set your heartbeat to be twice your step – in this case, 1800s

When you update your RRDtool database, you will give RRDTool a point in time and the data to store at that point in time.  DO NOT use ‘N’ (‘now’) for your point in time as you should be specifying the point in time when the data were sampled, not when you store them.  The step and heartbeat apply to the data point in time, not when you happen to store them.

Obviously, you need to have the sample times in your text file.  If you do not have them, you may be able to deduce the time by knowing that they are 15min apart and extrapolating?

Steve

Steve Shipway

s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz