[rrd-users] I don't understand ':strftime' in command: 'GPRINT:IORATE:MAX:%c:strftime'. Error creating the Storage IORATE PNG file

Petteri Matilainen pmatil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:37:23 CEST 2014

On 18.6.2014 18:07, Steven Sim wrote:
> Err...
>
> I cannot figure out this error ...
>
> 1341 entries processed!
> ERROR: I don't understand ':strftime' in command:
> 'GPRINT:IORATE:MAX:%c:strftime'.
> Error creating the Storage IORATE PNG file
>
> The syntax of the GPRINT command as follows ...
>
> .
> .
> .
> HRULE:${_MAXVALUE}${BLUE}:'80% Max Value':dashes
> GPRINT:${_METRIC1}:MAX:'Maximum IO value %5.2lf'
> GPRINT:${_METRIC1}:MAX:%c:strftime
>
> The rrdtool graph render command works just fine until I add the last line
>
> What's wrong with the strftime syntax?
>
> Deepest Regards
> Steven Sim

Hi Steven,

I remember having this exact problem a while back.

Here's a line from my graph script:

GPRINT:inmax:"@ %H\:%M\\n:strftime"

Note the double quotes "". This line outputs like this:

@ 13:30

where 13:30 is the time format, %H for hours and %M for minutes in 24
hour format and \\n is newline. Good luck.

-Pete