[rrd-users] rrdtool graph - fill-up missing data and points in future

Bram Klein Gunnewiek bram at shockmedia.nl
Thu Jun 19 11:09:06 CEST 2014

Hello,

We are using rrdtool to collect generate usage graphs. We create various
graphs (hourly, monthly, yearly) graphs. Sometimes we miss a few checks
and have missing data for a couple of hours. To prevent a non-complete
graph we use the following CDEF definition to fill-up those gaps:

CDEF:total=outoctets_0,UN,PREV,outoctets_0,8,*,IF

E.G. if the value is undefined, take the previous defined value. This
works but we have a problem with our monthly graphs of the current
month. We always display the complete month (e.g. june 1st - june 30rd).
Because we fill-up gaps for unknown values rrdtool creates a flatline of
the last known value (currently from june 19th) until the last day of
the month.

We don't want that but we can't find a solution for this. If we remove
the code that fill's up the gap we have a problem that users see holes
in the graphs. If possible, we don't want to limit the graphs from the
first day of the month till the current day of the month.

Is it somehow possible to fill-up the gaps until the current day and
leave the rest at unknown/zero?