[rrd-users] Consolidating to a Daily RRA

nhoeller at sinet.ca nhoeller at sinet.ca
Wed Mar 5 17:32:25 CET 2014

I have been using rrdtool to capture and consolidate solar radiance,
temperature and production from a solar array.  The ability of rrdtool to
work with large volumes of information at different granularity has been
very useful.  Perhaps even more important has been gaining an
understanding of the issues around data quality and the details of
consolidation.

One issue has been the daily consolidation.  I understand the benefits of
working in UTC and using midnight UTC as the daily roll-over time.
However, it turns out that in my case roll-over occurs at 19:00 EST or
20:00 EDT which means early evening data sometimes gets moved to the next
day.

I understand the challenges of using local midnight.  I have also reviewed
some of the workarounds including using a local timestamp (this will cause
issues if I want to create graphs) and exporting hourly data into another
'daily' rrd (significantly larger primary rrd).  Would adding an option
that allows us to configure an offset from UTC for the typical 'end of
day' be useful and easily implementable?  For my purposes, I can work in
EST and ignore Daylight Savings.
        Thanks, Norbert