[rrd-users] This isn't normalization

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Oct 24 07:30:50 CEST 2014

I think your problem is defining how big 1GB actually is.

If the data you're feeding defines it as 1024 x 1024 x 1024 then it will be larger than 1000 x 1000 x 1000, which is the way it will be defined by default.  Even worse you may be thinking of it as 1000 x 1000 K where 1K=1024...

When you call the RRD graph command, you can pass a parameter to specify how big 1K is -- if you use 1024 then you'll get 1G as 1024x1024x1024 which will likely give the value you expect.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead