[rrd-users] This isn't normalization

Evan Langlois uudruid74 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:35:16 CEST 2014


Thanks for showing me how stupid I am.  All calculations were done in 
x1000 and somewhere it wasn't working with the extensions that Cacti has 
since it does some weird summation that can't be turned off, so I 
switched to GPRINT and I don't know why that wasn't working with the 
defaults .. but somewhere I had fixed it, but only after turning on the 
"Multiply by 1024" option to change the display from M to G.

Calculations are x 1000, not 1024!  I added an option to multiply by 
1000 instead of 1024 and its now giving the right results.   Its one of 
those issues where I broke it in one place trying to fix it in another.  
Don't know why I didn't see that the results were just over by that 
little amount, but thanks for pointing that out!

-- Evan

On 10/24/2014 12:30 AM, Steve Shipway wrote:
> I think your problem is defining how big 1GB actually is.
> If the data you're feeding defines it as 1024 x 1024 x 1024 then it will be larger than 1000 x 1000 x 1000, which is the way it will be defined by default.  Even worse you may be thinking of it as 1000 x 1000 K where 1K=1024...
> When you call the RRD graph command, you can pass a parameter to specify how big 1K is -- if you use 1024 then you'll get 1G as 1024x1024x1024 which will likely give the value you expect.

More information about the rrd-users mailing list