[rrd-users] Can I stuff an RRD with data after-the-fact?

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:49:01 CEST 2014

Hi folks,

I know this may not seem to make sense to most of you but it does to me :-)

For various reasons I want to collect data in my own logfile formatted thus :

<EPOCHTIME>:data1:data2

And then when I want to see a graph, copy that over to another host and feed it
into an RRD file, then graph it from there.  But of course in doing so I get the
error :

 "illegal attempt to update using time" "when last update time is"

I did some googling and found a similar question in 2008 where Mr Oetiker said
this was not possible.   Just wondering whether anything has changed since then.

Is there a way to do this?   Basically do the following but tell it to
force timestamps

#!/bin/bash

while read line
do
rrdtool update foobar-1yr-5sec.rrd -t diskiops:diskutil $line
done < diskperf-1yr-5sec.log

thanks,
-Alan

--
"Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV"