[rrd-users] MRTG-RRD PNG update interval

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 17 23:58:17 CEST 2015

The 14all script will normally give you a 'daily' graph, which will have the
stats rolled up to 5min intervals, and so will update every 5min.   All
MRTG-created RRD files support the standard daily(5min), weekly (30min),
monthly (2h) and yearly(1d) RRA granularities, though you can set the
interval itself lower or higher.

If you want to have the stats at a higher granularity - such as the 30s
granularity you have configured your RRD for and are running MRTG at - you
will need to customise it.

The Routers2 frontend will spot a shorter interval, and will enable an
additional graph called '6 hourly', which uses a 1minute interval.  I;ve not
tested how RRDTool behaves with a 30s RRD, but RRDTool may well use the 30s
interval as this is what is available and so your '6h' graph would have the
higher granularity in this case.

If you want to use 14all, you may be forced to modify the code in order to
support this more detailed graph, or write custom rrdcgi scripts.

Steve

Steve Shipway

 <mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz

(GNU Terry Pratchett)