[rrd-users] compiling Glib with PCRE support for Rrdtool 1.5.3

Alceu R. de Freitas Jr. glasswalk3r at yahoo.com.br
Fri Jul 17 21:23:17 CEST 2015

Greetings,
I'm trying to compile RRDTool version 1.5.3 on a old Oracle Enterprise Linux (5.11) and I'm not being able to go through the error below:
====
configure: WARNING:
* I found a copy of pkgconfig, but there is no pcre.pc file around.
  You may want to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to point to its
  location.

configure: WARNING:
* I could not find a working copy of pcre. Check config.log for hints on why
  this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS appropriately
  so that compiler and the linker can find libpcre and its header files. If
  you have not installed pcre, you can get it either from its original home on

     get a newer glib and you will not need pcre at all

  You can find also find an archive copy on

     http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/libs

  The last tested version of pcre is x.x.x.

       LIBS=-lm  -lwrap -lglib-2.0
   LDFLAGS=-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/home/user/rrdtool/lib -L/home/user/rrdtool/lib
  CPPFLAGS= -I/home/user/rrdtool/include/glib-2.0 -I/home/user/rrdtool/lib/glib-2.0/include

checking for pcre_compile... no
configure: error: you need either glib with g_regex support or libpcre to compile rrdtool.
===
I followed the instructions http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdbuild.en.html and installed pkgversion, followed by the glibc, both available on RRDTool website, without any error or warning.

Do I have to enable any additional option on glibc to get PCRE enabled? I searched the configure options for it and also it's documentation, it seems the PCRE is enabled by default.
Any other reason for this being failing?
This is the complete configure options I used to start RRDTool install:
./configure --disable-rrdcgi --disable-python -disable-tcl --disable-lua --disable-ruby --enable-perl-site-install --prefix $INSTALL_DIR
My $INSTALL_DIR is "/home/user/rrdtool". I searched for pcre.pc file and didn't find anything there (not sure if this is expected).

Thank you,Alceu