[rrd-users] RRDTool lib fetch

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 3 22:01:21 CET 2015

This is expected behaviour.

‘Rrdtool fetch’ will return the raw data, using the RRA that most closely approximates the requested data resolution.  So, if you request a resolution of 3600, and only have a 300 RRA available, then this will be used.  However, if you have a 3600 RRA then this will be chosen.  In addition, RRDTool will ensure the time window is fully covered before selecting a resolution; so you need to be careful of fencepost errors where only the last sample is unavailable at your selected resolution and so it fails back to a lower granularity RRA.  The graph function, on the other hand, will perform on-the-fly aggregation and calculation to generate a data set  in the required resolution before graphing.

If you want to have the data pre-aggregated, then either ensure that a suitable RRA exists in the RRD, or else use ‘rrdtool xport’, which is like the graph function but returns the data instead (after calculation and aggregation if necessary)

Steve

Steve Shipway

T: +64 9 3737 599 ext 86487

E: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz <mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>