[rrd-users] Incorrect display of french accents

Chris ckittlitz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:40:39 CET 2016

I was running RRDs::graph(...) on a CentOS 6 system, and everything was
working properly.  I was able to display èé etc in the title with no
problem.  The following are the packages we had for that system.

rrdtool-perl-1.3.8-6.el6.x86_64
rrdtool-1.3.8-6.el6.x86_64
collectd-rrdtool-5.1.0-1.el6.rft.x86_64
collectd-collection3-5.1.0-1.el6.rft.x86_64
collectd-5.1.0-1.el6.rft.x86_64
pango-1.28.1-7.el6_3.x86_64
gnuplot-4.2.6-2.el6.x86_64

Now, on CentOS 7, when trying to generate graphs, all accented characters
are showing up as large X with a box around it.  Or perhaps it is an
hourglass symbol.  In any event, it isn't the right character.

On this platform, my packages are;

rrdtool-perl-1.4.8-8.el7.x86_64
rrdtool-1.4.8-8.el7.x86_64
collectd-5.5.0-2.el7.x86_64
collectd-rrdtool-5.5.0-2.el7.x86_64
collectd-web-5.5.0-2.el7.x86_64
pango-1.34.1-5.el7.x86_64
gnuplot-4.6.2-3.el7.x86_64

I have verified that I am calling RRDs::graph(...) the same in both
instances, yet one works, and the other does not.  In both cases, I am
setting the locale to fr_CA.UTF8.

What is strange is that when the dates require accents (févr., for example
for february), it is displayed properly.  It is only in my custom tags for
title, axis, and legend where it is displayed incorrectly.

I will keep investigating.  Perhaps I am using the improper character codes.

Thanks!

Chris