[rrd-users] Incorrect display of french accents

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 5 23:04:33 CET 2016

>Now, on CentOS 7, when trying to generate graphs, all accented characters
>are showing up as large X with a box around it.  Or perhaps it is an
>hourglass symbol.  In any event, it isn't the right character.

If I remember correctly, this is caused by a font issue in that the fonts you are using do not have the required symbol.  To fix it you need to install the additional extended fonts for Pango to use, and (possibly) pass an option to RRDTool to tell it to use said font rather than the default.

I have never fully done this and cannot give you the exact instructions on which font RPM to install etc but hopefully this will give you the necessary pointers

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead