[rrd-users] [FORGED] Re: Installing rrdtool on Linux machine

azeddine bezzir a_bezzir at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 3 09:31:18 CET 2016

Good morning
There is no conflict, in fact the machine i am talking about is a live machine, i am not alowed to change the original configuration, but installing rrdtool will be beneficial for the company, because we will be able to display the traffic through graphs. this machine is not directly connected to the internet.
Thank you.
Best regards.

    Le Mercredi 2 mars 2016 14h30, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> a écrit :

 azeddine bezzir <a_bezzir at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> The machine i am trying to install rrdtool on it, is not mine, it belong to my company, so i cannot install another OS on it, or change any configuration.

> I want to manually install the tool

There's a conflict there - you aren't allowed to change anything, but you are allowed to install new software !

> - How to identify the dependencies needed for this installation?
> - Once identified, from where can i manually download them?

Your best bet is to use the OS repositories for the packages - making sure you get packages appropriate to the vintage of the system. Try to install the rpm and it will fail due to a missing dependency. Download the package (rpm file) that satisfies that, install it, and repeat. I'm not familiar with RH, but in Debian you can try to install multiple packages in one go with "dpkg --install package1.deb package2.deb ..." - which means you can keep trying without actually installing anything until you have a full list of required packages.

The downside is that you need to download multiple files one at a time, so it gets fairly tedious - which is why I suggested you start with the list of packages you got from yum when you first tried and install all of them in one go.

It's the "best" way to do it, but it's a pain to do - especially if you end up with a longer and longer list of missing dependencies at each iteration.