[rrd-users] Confusion about VDEF total and graph values

Simon Hobson simon at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 17:37:53 CEST 2016

"Alex van den Bogaerdt" <alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl> wrote:

>> That would also work visually, but what I had in mind was not to reduce
>> the
>> width, but create the bars by separating them with vertical lines of the
>> correct height.
>
> I have difficulty understanding what you describe here.

I interpret him as : think about drawing each column in the graph as a box with a thin (I guess 1 pixel is the minimum) outline round it in a contrasting colour - but don't draw the top or bottom lines. You've now got vertical lines separating the filled area.

It's slightly more subtle, you actually want to only draw a line on either the right, or the left, of each column - otherwise the side lines from two adjacent columns combine to form a 2 pixel wide line.

It also won't work if the columns are only 1 pixel wide.