[rrd-users] Confusion about VDEF total and graph values

humke arjan.hummel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:54:29 CEST 2016

Simon Hobson-2 wrote
> I interpret him as : think about drawing each column in the graph as a box
> with a thin (I guess 1 pixel is the minimum) outline round it in a
> contrasting colour - but don't draw the top or bottom lines. You've now
> got vertical lines separating the filled area.
>
> It's slightly more subtle, you actually want to only draw a line on either
> the right, or the left, of each column - otherwise the side lines from two
> adjacent columns combine to form a 2 pixel wide line.
>
> It also won't work if the columns are only 1 pixel wide.

Almost... See my other post of today for a picture of what I mean.

RRDgraph allows us to draw with pixels < 1 in size (I actually use 0.8 in my
graphs). There's no such thing as half (or <1) a pixel in reality, but the
rendering process uses the number to do some special 'smoothing' (there's a
better term that won't pop up in my head) to make it visually look like a
thinner line. I am not sure if it would help to give the desired effect in
this case. If we could even generate the vertical lines that is which I so
much desire ;)