[smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping

Adrian Bool aid at vianw.net
Tue Apr 23 10:45:36 MEST 2002

Hi Greg,

I had something similar.  There were two things that I needed to do in
order to get smokeping running - perhaps one or two of them may help
you...

Firstly, I needed to set the fping binary setuid, something like,

 chown root  /usr/local/sbin/fping
 chmod u+s /usr/local/sbin/fping

Secondly, I needed to alter the path to fping in the file,

 /opt/smokeping-1.6/lib/probes/FPing.pm

Naturally, that file will probably be in a slighly different position o
your system..

Just near the top you will see,

 *** Probes ***
 + FPing
 binary = /usr/local/sbin/fping

Make sure the binary line points to your real fping - there was some
really strange path in there until I updated mine to above.

Good luck,

aid

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Greg Reaume wrote:

> No I haven't had a response yet but numerous off-list e-mails asking me
> to share the solution when I eventually get it.
>
> It seems to me that this is not a problem only we are experiencing
> (reference thread 'Upgrading from') so I expect there should be someone
> with a solution shortly.
>

> Note:  I've attached my original post as well as the 'Upgrading from'
> thread and cc'd this response for the benefit of the list.
>
> Greg Reaume
>
> Network Analyst
> Cowan Dalton Inc

Adrian Bool			| http://noc.vianw.net/
Director, Global Network	| tel://+44.1925.484061/
VIA NET.WORKS Inc. 		| noc://+49.203.3093.1111/