[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping graphs stop generating

Jeff Foster jfoste at woodward.com
Tue Aug 27 20:35:51 MEST 2002

<lots deleted>

> I'm no expert, but this sounds suspiciously like a problem with TCP/IP
> rather than smokeping.

I have the same problem with smokeping and fping. I'm running Redhat 7.1
with a 2.4.2 kernel and fping 2.4.2_to.

Once the ping to the site fails fping can't ping the site anymore. I fping
the site outside of smokeping and it will also fail. Ping works fine.
I used tcpdump to check the network traffic on the computer and it shows
the ping request packets. However a sniffer monitoring the router ethernet
port doesn't see the packets.

I don't know enough about the Linux network stack to point my finger at a
specific section of the code. It is very interesting that the packet is
visible to tcpdump but doesn't seem to make the wire.

Jeff Foster

***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the sender by return e-mail, delete this
e-mail, and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
****