[smokeping-users] Re: Link-up graph

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 14 08:30:12 MET 2002

Today Olivier Nicole wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed SmokePing yesterday and so far it works fines. I need to
> figure out what hosts are worth testing now :)
>
> OK, what i could not find out is the way to have the link-up data show
> on the graphs like on the web page for SmokePing. In my case
> (monitoring several satellite connectivity, that can get disturb by
> tropical rain) it is a valuable information.

Hi Oliver,

The UpTime thing currently only gets enabled for devices which use
DYNAMIC ipaddressing. How would you detect 'uptime' for your
satelites ? Snmp ?

> A couple of remarks, installation is far from being straight forward
> (but the tool is designed mostly for network people, so they should
> know how to works around of that),

can you elaborate, what would have helped you to make the process
simpler ?

> and as my web site uses SSI scripts
> to draw the page head and bottom, I had to play around with SmokePing
> perl script a bit to include that in.

so should the template have the option for embeding some sort of
ssi into the template ? This could be done quite easily ...

> Thanks for that one more usefull tool Tobias,

thanks
tobi

> Olivier
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi