[smokeping-users] Re: 0.99.10 is out

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 22 07:55:37 MET 2002

Yesterday Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:04:30AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> >
> > Well it seems I am starting to get into the 'it is tough to care
> > for every case' your data gets killed by a few 'unhealthy spikes ...'
> > I will take the AVARAGE into account as well as the MAX, this
> > should help ...
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> > As for the
> > http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/pantomime/iu2.png graph, the
> > blotchiness is intended ... afterall, these are individual
> > measurements so connecting them with a line does not make sense
> > realy ...
>
> Now I am adjusting to the 'blotchiness', and it does seem a reasonable
> representation. It took awhile for my eyes to adjust :) But it still
> seems like the smoke effect is not as strong. Or is this an artifact
> of the gaps now? It's an interesting concept to have useful data that
> does interesting things to make it pleasant to the eye.

it has todo with the scaling I guess ... I did not change the smoke
code at all ...

because of the few very high spikes everything gets boged down ...

how about allowing for a max_show variable in the config file where
it is possible to set a max reasonable rtt, where everything above
gets cut away in the graph ?

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi