[smokeping-users] Re: 0.99.10 is out

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Jan 22 19:39:37 MET 2002

I like the elimination of drawing the line on the "detail" page.  I had
a few people as how there could be a trend similar to utilization
when the pings are isolated 5 minute results.  For some reason, the
summary views are still ok, but the real graphs can't be connected.

As an aside, aftr going through the upgrade a number of times now,
I'd like to comment on file names...realizing this is still in beta, so
some of this will undoubtedly change.

All the files that the user needs to customize in some way maybe
should be named with a .DIST or something similar.  Even cooler
would be all files have symlinks to their respective areas from
one directory.

A list of files I need to change when I do an upgrade...

./bin/smokeping.DIST
./etc/basepage.html.DIST
./etc/config.DIST
./htdocs/smokeping.cgi.DIST
./lib/probes/FPing.pm.DIST

I've gotten in the habit of creating a directory called smokefiles in
the new smokeping directory and create a symlink for each of
the files to their respective locations.  Makes configuration a
whole bunch easier.

Paul

Yesterday Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:04:30AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> >
> > Well it seems I am starting to get into the 'it is tough to care
> > for every case' your data gets killed by a few 'unhealthy spikes ...'
> > I will take the AVARAGE into account as well as the MAX, this
> > should help ...
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> > As for the
> > http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/pantomime/iu2.png graph, the
> > blotchiness is intended ... afterall, these are individual
> > measurements so connecting them with a line does not make sense
> > realy ...
>
> Now I am adjusting to the 'blotchiness', and it does seem a reasonable
> representation. It took awhile for my eyes to adjust :) But it still
> seems like the smoke effect is not as strong. Or is this an artifact
> of the gaps now? It's an interesting concept to have useful data that
> does interesting things to make it pleasant to the eye.

it has todo with the scaling I guess ... I did not change the smoke
code at all ...

because of the few very high spikes everything gets boged down ...

how about allowing for a max_show variable in the config file where
it is possible to set a max reasonable rtt, where everything above
gets cut away in the graph ?

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi