[smokeping-users] Re: Scalability

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Jun 16 17:31:27 MEST 2002

Today Marc Powell wrote:

> Tobi et al,
>
> I am really interested in scaling up my use of Smokeping
> significantly (on the order of 1500 hosts) and was wanting to get
> the lists opinion on how well this might work. My chief concern
> is how well the smokeping.cgi will behave with that many hosts to
> display. I would have a number of sub-menus and the largest
> submenu might have maybe 300 hosts in it. I know that there are
> also likely to be concerns about data collection but I plan to
> implement a number of external data collectors and rsync the rrd
> files back to the central reporting station on a regular basis.
> I've been quite successful doing this for a Cricket installation
> and don't see any major roadblocks to this. Are there any other
> issues that I might have to contend with that could be classified
> as show-stoppers? Any other thoughts?

Hi Marc,

the polling part, as long as you use fping should work fine, as for
the cgi, creating 300 graphs will take in the order of 1 minute ...
so I would suggest you order your tree in a manner that not too
many hosts are sitting on the same brance, then it should be no
problem ... Smokeping is certainly much more efficient in
generating graphs than cricket as all the graphs get generated by
the process which displays the webpage, and not through additional
processes which get launched upon dispaly of the grpah (maybe
cricket fixed this in the mean time)

tobi

> TIA,
>
> Marc
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi