[smokeping-users] Scalability

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Sun Jun 16 17:05:31 MEST 2002

Tobi et al,

I am really interested in scaling up my use of Smokeping significantly (on the order of 1500 hosts) and was wanting to get the lists opinion on how well this might work. My chief concern is how well the smokeping.cgi will behave with that many hosts to display. I would have a number of sub-menus and the largest submenu might have maybe 300 hosts in it. I know that there are also likely to be concerns about data collection but I plan to implement a number of external data collectors and rsync the rrd files back to the central reporting station on a regular basis. I've been quite successful doing this for a Cricket installation and don't see any major roadblocks to this. Are there any other issues that I might have to contend with that could be classified as show-stoppers? Any other thoughts?

TIA,

Marc