[smokeping-users] smokeping and non-UDP syslog sockets

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Fri Sep 13 04:54:46 MEST 2002

Smokeping is working wonderfully for me so far, but I noticed that
I wasn't getting any syslog messages.  The problem was on NetBSD,
syslogd by default uses a Unix socket, not a UDP socket (so that
it will receive only messages from the local host, not the network).
Here's some code (snatched from my local patches to Mon) that deals
with the problem:

  use Sys::Syslog qw(:DEFAULT setlogsock);
  setlogsock('unix')
      if grep /^ $^O $/xo, ("linux", "openbsd", "freebsd", "netbsd");

Those OS's all default to Unix sockets.  Ideally, there should be
a knob in the config file for the socket type, since configurations
can vary.