[smokeping-users] Re: CGI not executing

Jonathan Stewart mysticalreaperlist at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 25 00:51:53 MEST 2002

Atul Gosain wrote:

>hi
>
>I have installed smokeping on my server.The cgi i have put inside some
>directory structure in /var/www/html which is document root of apache.
>The problem is that when i run cgi from the browser , it shows plain text.
>I put that in ScriptAlias inside the httpd.conf, then the cgi is running
>but its not showing the iages because i have made a link for the images
>directory with the ping.cgi and may be links are not allowd in
>ScriptAlias.
>
>Please help me solve this problem

First, you don't put CGI scripts within your regular HTML directory
structure, you put them in your cgi-bin directory.  For instance, my
cgi-bin directory is /usr/bin/cgi-bin/.  Here's the lines setting it up:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/

<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

The first line sets up www.yourwebsite.com/cgi-bin/ to point to the
actual directory outside your HTML tree.  the next <Directory> setting
sets up the cgi-bin to allow execution of CGI scripts.

Anyways, you need to put your cgi in the cgi-bin directory for it to be
executed by the system.  Give that a try.

Jonathan